10/9/07

Playground fall.

This past Sunday our family spent the afternoon at High Banks Park with Noah's 1st grade class enjoying a picnic. After all the kids were done eating they went to play at the playground area. About 20 minutes later I see Chloe walking up the hill holding her arm. I go out to see what is wrong not thinking much of it since she is not crying. When I meet up with her I notice she is pale white in her face and she says to me "Daddy, I hurt my arm and I think it may be broken". As I looked down to her right forearm it was evident that the arm was broken and we needed to get her to a hospital. The nurses at the picnic jumped into action and build a makeshift sling using an icepack, pizza box, blanket and medical tape. We then drove Chloe to the nearest Children's Close To Home location. They took x-rays of her arm and determined that she had broke both bones in her forearm and her elbow. This meant that we needed to head downtown to Childrens Hospital to see an orthopedic surgeon.

At Childrens downtown the doctor announced that Chloe needed surgery the next morning and had to stay overnight in the hospital. Jen and I stayed that night with her and saw her off to surgery around 7:30 AM Monday morning. The surgeon came out to see us about an hour later and said everything went well and he had to placed two pins in her elbow and one in her forearm. She was fitted with a purple cast which she will have for the next four weeks. After four weeks they will take the pins out and place her in a smaller cast.

The rest of Monday was consumed with Chloe resting, receiving balloon gifts, and talking with visitors. She realized how much she was loved that day!

No comments: